Saturday, August 27, 2011

Blown with the wind


 Part I
 If you ever happen to get your posting in the east……I suggest these two prerequisite to have in you; the first requirement is to have big yet strong heart and equally important is to have a healthy liver.
Let’s begin first with the thing that feels and later on with the thing that helps digest.
After a brief orientation on teaching conducted by ministry of education in Thimphu, I was posted to Trashiyangtse, in eastern Bhutan. Lichen community Primary School was the place. 
The School, teaching staffs, teaching materials and resources available didn’t bother my consciousness. The staffs were professionally and socially sound, the materials were amply supplied by the Government and the academic blocks well constructed. The children act no differently. Their innocent and expressive faces caught every ounce of my attention in a positive note. But their stories made me experience a paradigm shift in the way I regarded death of one’s parents.  
As every man I had my own conviction. I had this believe that every parent will look after you through high school and see u graduate, see you get a job, manage a bride for you and latter they caresses and bring up  your  children. They are there for you more than half of your life! It was sort of mandatory on part of parents to be there for you, it was what I presumed. During my schooling I never had friends who were orphan/ looked after by single parent or I never heard of it. This atmosphere further cemented my conviction as I grew up.
But here in this small village with serene atmosphere, my fantastic conviction had no place. There are children seemingly cute, cheerful but consumed by destitute. There are orphans, children with single parent and illegitimate children (bastard is so mean a word to entitle poor souls, what wrong on earth did they do to call them bastard?) in almost equal proposition in a school of 65 charming students. You indeed need a big yet strong heart to meet and stay with these children.
The day I knew all about this whole thing I promised myself that I shall not limit to teaching them English grammars but make them smile, laugh and make them feel loved at least while they are in school. I do so much of storytelling and hugging. However some of them are recipient of Kudu (financial help from Government) but when I questioned myself ‘What else can I do for them?’looking at their small bright eyes my heart literally melted. So did my conviction!

5 comments:

  1. "wow"..was the first word that i spoke when i read the last line of the post...its the fact of eastern Bhutan but i am glad that at least there in one person who think now that change is must and heartily trying to bring the smile over those innocent faces...and i wish u lots of luck that u not only be able to bring the smile over those faces but also change the way one would think of them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced the single parenting education and I felt the truth of the loss of the students. Life is tough and behind those smiles in their innocent face lies a sadness where no one can understand but herself.
    Sir, keep your wits on and good luck with everything you are doing and I hope the students acknowledge your sympathy anonymously...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for the comments

    God bless you all.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish Bhutan with all teachers like you: Competent, enthusiastic and dedicated. Lets teach Children, and not Grammar!

    ReplyDelete

"Choosing Home, Building Success: Sonam Zam's Path to Making a Difference

  In a world driven by the allure of greener pastures abroad, and even so dreadfully true about the wild rush we are experiencing in our own...